Read This: The 5 Essentials
by Ben Perreira
A couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of going to see Dr. Bob Deutsch speak in Santa Monica at an event put on by my friends at Furlined. After some light chatter and refreshments Dr. Bob took the stage and served up a great talk. The term I took from it was “directed serendipity” – the idea that we don’t know the end of the story at the beginning of the story and we allow ourselves diversions within the realm of what we enjoy and what we want to accomplish.
The book is less self help or motivation in the Tony Robbins sense than a framework for discovering authentic stories. It became clear how Dr. Bob has been able to successfully work with advertising agencies and in diplomacy. His ideas are simple yet powerful.
Here are the aforementioned essentials at their respective, uh, essences:
- Curiosity: Desire to look deeper and figure out how things work.
- Openness: Willingness to change based on information gleaned from the above.
- Sensuality: Use of all available faculties to find new ways to understand things.
- Paradox: Ability to hold competing ideas at the same time and find them complementary.
- Self-story: Each person’s original and organic narrative about where (s)he is coming from and going.
Don’t just take my word for it. Pick up a copy of the book. You won’t regret it.